July 25, 2009

The Right GPS System for your Bike

I've never owned or used a GPS for my motorcycle or 'cage'. I usually rely on road maps, a compass, the Sun, good old 'horse sense', and a bit of luck to get to my destination. Guess this reflects my military training and experience in navigating the jungles of Vietnam.

On occasion I do get 'misoriented'. But, especially on the bike, this misorientation often turns out to be a great adventure and opportunity to explore other roads. And, I might add, asking for directions is a good way to strike up a conversation with the 'locals'. Most people are willing to provide directions and other information and often you get a taste of local 'Americana'. For example if you are looking to find something in Marietta, GA, and ask a local, they will probably tell you how to get there from The Big Chicken. May not work with a map, but it's fun anyway.

Getting back to our subject, GPS! On occasion I've considered buying a GPS, but with all the brands, models, and types of GPS systems out there, it does seem overwhelming to sort through all this and decide what is best for my situation. So I usually forget the whole thing and move on.

Recently I can across an article by Daniel Stouffer titled "Flexible Motorcycle GPS Systems for the Open Road" which helps to clarify some issues. In the article Dan explains the different types of GPS systems suitable for a motorcycle. They are:
1) Systems designed for outdoor use which can be adapted for a cycle.
2) Units designed specifically for a motorcycle. And
3) Hybrids which incorporate PDA functionality.

Dan goes on to give some tips on choosing a GPS which fits your requirements and describes some features you might consider.

The article is relatively short but it is a good place to start if you are, like me, 'GPS Challanged'.

Reference:
Stouffer, Daniel. "Flexible Motorcycle GPS Systems for the Open Road."
YourYogi.com. 17 July 2009. Web. 25 July 2009.

No comments: